Thursday, February 10, 2022

Fast, Immersive, Streamlined Roleplaying

I currently GM one tabletop roleplaying group, and we only meet about once or twice a month (and sometimes we even skip a month or two, depending on life circumstances).  When we meet, we usually chat and catch-up for about 30 minutes, and then we jump into our game.  Our sessions usually last 2 hours at most.  

Given this schedule, I have prioritized getting my players into the action as quickly as possible, and I attempt to pack lots of satisfying content into our short sessions.  I have come to greatly value any GMing technique that contributes to fast and streamlined play.

While working out how to fit good stuff into a 2-hour session, I have made some mistakes to be sure!  For example, my players were once navigating a darkened corridor, the cleric leading the way with her torch.  In order to better codify and "gamify" how torches work, I appended a new mechanic onto my system: Torch Integrity Points.  A torch begins with 5 points, and loses 1 for every 10 minutes in the game world, and whenever it gets wet, whenever it is dropped, and whenever it encounters a gust of wind.

After GMing this dungeon-crawling session for a little while, I realized that neither I nor my players really cared about keeping track of Torch Integrity Points. 

Perhaps because of this, I have become skeptical of systems that are loaded up with mechanics, rules, and things to keep track of.  Actually, many TTRPGS are quite stuffed with such things.  For instance, in many RPGs, players are obligated to account for many items, including resources (such as Hit Points and Spell Slots), skills and modifiers, and the rules of the game itself.  Accounting for all of these items can impose a real mental strain on a player.  Chris McDowall has noted that "every rule has a cost," and lately I have been endeavoring to see how I may be able to craft a minimalist, streamlined, and accessible rules set that works for my table.

While researching minimalist rules systems, I came upon the "Free Kriegsspiel Revolution," or the FKR.  The FKR, in short, is quite an exciting style of roleplaying, since it places a premium on ease of use, immersion, and player engagement.  Many others have discussed the FKR in depth, and I would highly recommend these resources:
In short, the FKR refers to a renewed interest in a style of roleplaying that is quite old.  When 19th century Prussian officers realized that their wargame ("Kriegsspiel") had become bloated with rules, a new type of wargaming arose ("Free Kriegsspiel") that replaced rigid rules with flexible adjudication by an umpire.  Many roleplayers in the pre-D&D era adopted a similar style, relying on simple rulesets and spot rulings from the referee.

The FKR has much to offer anyone interested in a style of roleplaying that brings the attention back to the world and the characters.  I hope to post more about how GMs can incorporate interesting FKR techniques into their gaming.

If there is any advice I can give to an aspiring GM that has become bewildered by the complexity of mainstream RPGs (such as 5e), it is this: do not be afraid of utilizing fewer rules.  Trust your judgment.  Use your creativity and common sense to adjudicate situations.  Give your brain a rest, and take it easy on yourself: forget about Torch Integrity Points.

By Jessie Willcox Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment